During 1984, when Indian army positioned itself at Siachen Glacier, the problem of human waste disposal became a serious issue due to prevailing subzero ambient temperature ( -30o C to -50o C). Such a low temperature does not allow natural microbial decomposition of waste which continue accumulating throughout the ice layers and risk the soldier`s health as ice being the single drinking water source for him beside aesthetic nuisance. Various options were experienced by Indian Army based on suggestions by institutions/ agencies like chemical treatment and incineration but being practically unsuccessful, the task of biodegration was assigned to DRDE Gwalior. In the absence of any prevalent (National/International) technology developed BIODIGESTER TEHCNOLOGY for application in low temperature high altitude areas that was subsequently modified and experienced to plain and mobile system.
TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPED BY DEFENCE RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT ESTABLISHMENT, MINISTRY OF DEFENCE
DRDE has developed an innovative technology for disposal of human waste in eco-friendly manner at locations where temperature drops to –40 deg C or lower. It is not only useful for glacier but to other snow bound areas of any altitude prevailing in India. The process culminates in to treated effluent which is free from pathogens and is also environmentally acceptable. • During waste treatment colour less, odour less, inflammable biogas (methane) is generated as a byproduct which can be used for various energy intensive activities like lighting, water and room heating.
THE TECHNOLOGY HAS TWO MAJOR COMPONENTS
- Low temperature active inoculum
- Temperature controlled bio-digester
A consortium of anaerobic bacteria has been formulated and adopted to work at very low temperature. This is the component which acts as inoculum to the biodigester and converts the organic waste into methane and carbon dioxide. The anaerobic process inactivates the pathogens responsible for water born diseases.
Bio-digester serve as reaction vessel for bio-methanation and provides the anaerobic conditions and required temperature for the bacteria. The optimum temperature is maintained by microbial heat, insulation of the reactor (required only in glacier installation) and solar heating.
- Suitable for subzero temperature of Himalayan region as well as glaciers.
- No dependence on the limited and costly conventional energy sources.
- Easy to transport and install in hilly terrains.
- Maintenance free, continuous biological process.
- Elimination of pathogens.
- Generation of odourless and inflammable biogas.
- Economically viable.
We are manufacturing various types of Temperature Controlled Bio Digesters starting from unit for 7-10 persons and the maximum being for up to 50-60 persons. As per DRDO design, the Bio Digester can be installed with the existing toilets also. The Temperature Control is done by Solar powered PV Modules thus eliminating any requirement of electricity in the system. The complete system is compact, highly efficient and eco-friendly.
Temperature Controlled Biodigester suitable for installation with existing toilets having NO flushing system
- Alfa Therm” Model BDI-1 suitable for 7-10 persons
- Alfa Therm” Model BDI-2 suitable for 20-25 persons
- Alfa Therm” Model BDI-4 suitable for 50-60 persons
Temperature Controlled Biodigester suitable for installation with existing toilets having flushing system
- Alfa Therm” Model BDE-10 suitable for 7-10 persons
- Alfa Therm” Model BDE-25 suitable for 20-25 persons
- Alfa Therm” Model BDE-50 suitable for 50-60 persons
Temperature Controlled Biodigester plant Complete with Prefab Shelter
- Alfa Therm” Model BD-1 suitable for 7-10 persons
- Alfa Therm” Model BD-2 suitable for 20-25 persons
- Alfa Therm” Model BD-4 suitable for 50-60 persons